Housing Requirements and Procedures

(Administrative Ruling)

In accordance with the Residence Education and Housing Services Policy, the following stipulations apply:

1. Freshmen and Sophomores – All freshman and sophomore students, including transfer students (0-55 credits accumulated), are required to reside in University housing, with the following exceptions:¹

a. Married students

b. Students who will be twenty years of age by the first day of classes of fall semester of the current academic year (the current academic year is fall semester and spring semester)

c. Veterans with one or more years of active service

d. Students living with parents or legal guardian

e. Students taking 6 or less credits during the semester in question

2. Juniors and Seniors – Juniors and seniors are encouraged to live on campus. Moreover, the University will seek to achieve some balance of juniors and seniors in each housing unit.

Those students for whom the housing requirement is a condition of enrollment will be asked to verify their adherence to it. Failure to maintain the required residency could result in termination of enrollment by the Division of Student Affairs and Services. Enforcement of the housing regulations is the responsibility of the Division of Student Affairs and Services. The housing requirement does not apply to students during a semester in which they are enrolled for 6 or less credits or during the summer semester. In any subsequent semester during which the student carries 7 or more credits the requirement will again become applicable.

Every student is required to report his or her correct local address at the time of registration and to report any change of address thereafter. Failure to register the actual address at which they are living, or failure to notify the University of a change of address within five class days after the change becomes effective, will be considered as falsification of University records. (Change of off-campus address is made on the web at www.reg.msu.edu. Change of on-campus address is made in the office of the Community Director.)

Housing Contract
The Residence Education and Housing Services housing contracts are in effect for the period stated in terms of the contract. Any student, regardless of class standing, is obligated to fulfill the duration of the housing contract unless an authorized release is obtained. (Note: Applications for release must be made through the Housing Assignments Office.) This regulation applies to all students (freshmen, sophomores, juniors, seniors, special and graduate) who enter into a contract for on-campus housing.

Only those persons who have received official housing assignments may live in University housing.

Special Permission
Any new student prior to moving into residence halls may apply for an exception to the housing requirements. Information on the special permission procedure and criteria for exceptions can be obtained by contacting the Student Life Office, 101 Student Services Building. Applications will be considered by a committee appointed by the Vice President for Student Affairs and Services. The committee will have one representative from each of the following offices: Department of Student Life, Residence Education and Housing Services, and Associated Students of Michigan State University. A student may appeal the decision of the committee to the Vice President for Student Affairs and Services.

Off-campus living units that were recognized by the University as “supervised” housing units in the Spring of 1983 will continue to be eligible to house students consistent with past practice. Specific conditions that will ensure this eligibility will be developed by the Vice President for Student Affairs and Services and in consultation with appropriate off-campus living units. The residents of these units must be advised that the unit is neither supervised by nor under the jurisdiction of the University and that the University assumes no responsibility for the program, the facility, or persons associated with the unit.

  • Vice President for Student Affairs and Services
  • January 26, 1984; Amended 2006

¹ The sophomore student [28-55 credits accumulated] requirement may be waived by administrative action on a yearly basis.